Our two families in Corvallis, but missing Aaron and little Elsie

Monday, December 28, 2009

Koalas and Things

Up the two-lane main highway a bit is an overpass built specifically for the koalas to cross from one Eucalyptus forest to the other. The service road along side is lit up extra at night so cars can spot them easily. There has been a lot of time and money to make this special crossing for them! Still no sightings however . . . !

Six-pack of Corona costs $20.00. Makes sense. Instead of Kellogg's Rice Crispies, it's Kellogg's Rice Bubbles. Snap, crackle, pop. Pat bought a coffee pot! He couldn't take it one more day with instant!

I have felt as though we are on a lovely two week vacation, and soon we'll pack up and go home. Some of you know I grew up with my family renting a friend's weekend house in Palm Springs for Christmas every year until I was 12. We'd spend two weeks playing in the pool and eating tangerines and decorating cacti as Santa. This feels very much the same.

-Until Pat brought home the Bag 'O Phones! No one buys a bunch of phones if they're leaving in two weeks! Wow! Reality!

Lydia, Marc and Ross have made a splash with all the kids they are meeting by playing the card game, "I Doubt It." I believe they call it something else, which the Aussies know very well, and even the 7 year olds blurt it out, accent and all!

Pat and I took a long walk into town and along the wooden walkway out to the beach. Two kangaroos were feeding in the brush below. No big deal. We walked past the police station and the pub. Urunga reminds me of Capitola in the 80's. The coastal area reminds me of Santa Cruz, maybe in the 60's.

We're off to open a bank account this afternoon and then hook up the phones (more complicated, so it's taking us some time to understand which plan is for us).

Maybe I'll take a swim first . . . Ahh!

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware of your blog until I went out with Kathy and the girls last night. My future plans, of doing this some day, are swimming around in my head as I read your recent blogs! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your colorful updates, Diantha. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete