Our two families in Corvallis, but missing Aaron and little Elsie

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Into the Rain Forest

Before you read anymore of this, please imagine the soundtrack I wish I could record for you right now. There is a symphony of birds from the many eucalyptus trees out back. They are calling, chirping, singing, chanting, and squawking, I suppose, but it sounds like the loveliest squawk you can think of.

Okay, so with my background music playing, I'll tell you about the rain forest! One hour from here, or 40 minutes farther than Ross' high school, is Dorrigo, a national park. Debbie and Graeme (our community sponsors, but really our wonderful new friends) took us up for the day of hiking and swimming in the nearby river (sharkless river . . .). We saw the stinging plants up close (the leaves are enormous and beautiful, just the kind you want to pick up and admire). Tarzan's vines hang all around. The plants grow in and amongst each other. One seed might land in the crotch of a tree's branches, sending roots down the long trunk to the earth, suffocating the tree over time and morphing into the seed's species.

Little skinks run about. Birds, birds, birds, birds. We all wish we were better at identifying them. Brush turkey hens were scratching about looking for a good nesting spot. We picniced with birds sitting right next to the peanut butter jar, hoping.

We walked out the Sky Walk, yes, I did it too. It is a platform 50-60 ft. up that is situated out over the treetops. I didn't have to climb a tree to get there, thank you my Liberty friends, but instead one can just calmly walk out and admire the incredible, hand-sweating heights. I'll add a photo of it soon. What you won't see in the photo is my sweet husband shaking the platform . . .

My hands are sweating now again; I get to go into the classroom in one hour with my principal and look around! And Pat and the kids are off to the beach.

p.s. We put Marc on the plane for Portland two days ago. He finally just landed(!!). Keep an eye/ear out for him back home, everyone, 'kay?

1 comment:

  1. I think Australia is messing with your mind. Are you feeling okay? You don't like birds.

    ReplyDelete