Our two families in Corvallis, but missing Aaron and little Elsie

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bungi Jumping!!!

When we had finished our rafting trip & on the way back into town, Ross proclaimed he wanted to go bungi jump. Of course my response was, sure. Ross replied that he was about 75% sure he wanted to take the jump. Our plan the next day was to head straight out for Milford Sound. I told him I would jump as well, but he had to be 100% sure before our plans got changed. Somewhere back in town, Ross said he was like 90% sure he wanted to jump. I of course replied, that ain't 100% yet. After dinner, Ross said he was 100% sure. I told him I would ask again in the morning & if he was still 100%, we'd drive back up to the Kawarau River bridge before taking off to fiordland.
The next morning, I asked & Ross said he was still 100%. We drove the 12 miles back east to the river, got out & walked into the facility. Diantha asked if we were going to walk over to the edge and watch before we signed up. No way! And take the chance of a mind change!!! So Ross & I stepped up, paid the fee & were told to return in 20 minutes to weigh in. THEN, we went & watched some jumping. We returned, weighed in & walked up to the bridge where we were handed a harness as we waited in line. Diantha had gone below to take pictures & watch us sweat!
Ross went ahead of me, not once did he outwardly whimper or suggest he was going to change his mind. He was called into the staging area, harnessed in & hopped over to the edge. I watched him wave to the camera, thumbs up, then he jumped, a very proud moment!!!! I was very impressed. Those of you who know him, know this was a monster demonstration of bravery. My hats off to you Ross! First in the family!
So, I was called into the staging area right after Ross jumped. I was harnessed in and hopped over to the edge. Now, I became even more impressed with the fact Ross had jumped when I made the mistake of looking down. 43 meters to the river. The water was beautiful blue, calm & a long,long way down. The guy who had harnessed me in had me hop alittle closer to the edge. I grabbed the hand grip to hold onto for balance. The guy said I was ready, but I would need to let go of the grip. I really didn't want to & wondered why I had agreed to do this. I was petrified on the inside, but be damned if I showed it, particularly since I could see Ross at the bottom looking up & watching me, Daintha waiting with the camera & about 20-30 people waiting to see me take the step off the ledge. So, I cleared my mind, & did a swan dive. I don't really remember the trip down, but do recall slowing as the bungi rope started to pull at my legs. I was supposed to hit the water, but missed by a yard. As I hung there waiting for the rubber raft to come out & get me, I did check to see if I had wet myself & was glad to learn I hadn't. I got lowered into the boat, unloaded at the ramp & walked up the path with Ross to meet Diantha, higher than a kite.
Needless to say, this was quite a rush, 6-8 seconds worth. Did it & doubt I ever will again, particularly if it is not over water. The irony, Ross was ready to go back & do it again. I was ready to settle into a nice stress-free drive south and west to fiordland!

No comments:

Post a Comment