Our two families in Corvallis, but missing Aaron and little Elsie

Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

I celebrated the holiday with my school in grand style! It started with a little idea a year ago that maybe I could bring some patriotic wristbands and give them out to the whole school. It ballooned into an entire day of costumes, lemonade stands, hot dogs, cheerleading, line dancing, and even the YMCA! The children were dressed in everything from the Statue of Liberty, Paris Hilton, Scooby Doo, Men in Black, Minnie Mouse, cowgirls, cowboys, and even Uncle Spiderman Sam!

A teacher on staff spent her senior year in high school in Maryland, so she came dressed in her cheerleading outfit and letterman jacket. She lead us in the Pledge to the Oriental Trading flag I'd brought, and we raised it and stood while the National Anthem played. Marilyn came with me for the day and was a trooper helping hang banners, slicing 400 hot dog buns (no, they do not come pre-sliced), taking photos, and standing by my side for the Anthem. My costume was simply an American Flag tee shirt, but I think bringing a real American with me for the day counted for something!

The children had a ball and it was a great international team effort all the way around. Even the tee shirts and prizes for best costumes and best cheers were bought in Corvallis, brought to Maureen, sent over the hill to Marilyn, then carried by Marilyn to the southern hemisphere for the event! Thank you Team Albany/Corvallis!!

We ended with a potluck staff lunch, which they all thought was very funny, since they'd never heard the word 'potluck.' I told them, today they had to talk my way; the other 364 days of this year I'd try to talk their way!! Bugger it!

It was a perfect way to end a term before leaving on our two-week holiday. We'd finished report cards and parent-teacher conferences, so we were truly ready to have a party.

Now Pat, Ross and I are truly ready to have a holiday! Ross has flown home to Corvallis for two weeks, and Pat and I are sightseeing in Adelaide for the first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment