Our two families in Corvallis, but missing Aaron and little Elsie

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Quiet Before the Storm

The early month of June was mostly quiet. I went to Sydney the first weekend for a Teachers' Federation meeting. I'm not the political type by any means, but the school districts here face the same dilemma with State Testing that we do in the U.S. So after listening to the staff room conversations and reading the newspaper, my curiosity was peaked. I was invited to attend the meeting to hear what the current issues are that teachers here are facing. Besides a very interesting meeting (I know, that sounds like an oxymoron), I met some more great people who showed me around the city. I learned that teachers in New South Wales are passionate about their profession and their students, just like us, and they like to have a good time, just like us. Karaoke anyone?

We caught up on housework after our busy May, I wrote report cards for mid term, Pat caught his fabulous enormous fish, and Ross kept up with basketball and friends.

Ross went on a 5 day trip with his Society and Culture class to Sydney mid month. They visited a mosque, a synagogue, markets, and more for 5 or 6 different cultures represented. I'm sure it was nothing but wholesome and educational.

At that same time, Marilyn and Jamie arrived from Corvallis - and they were happily surprised at their youth hostel by the arrival of Ross and his Society and Culture classmates! Having stepped off the plane hours before, Marilyn met these tall handsome boys in the corridor, all speaking in beautiful Australian accents and Ross, of course, giving her a big hug. Surreal. They overlapped in Sydney for two days before all coming up to Urunga on the train.

Let the visitors begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment